Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Wicked lame.

Hot 96.9's Facebook page just shared this video, a promo for A&E's newest reality show, "Southie Rules".

And I'm a little concerned.

It's not that I worry for how Boston will be portrayed to the rest of the country... We've already strayed too far from having a salvageable national reputation.

Nor am I concerned about their use of the word "wicked".  As a lifelong resident of the Boston area, I can confirm that they are indeed using it in the proper context.

It's more personal than that.  Arguably selfish.  I'm worried that when I continue to use the word "wicked" in my everyday life (as I have since childhood), I'll look like a total douchebag.

See-- If I were to go to New York City today, and ask a random stranger, "Excuse me, Broadway Street is wicked long, how do I find where the hit musical 'Wicked' is playing?", they would probably respond with "OH COOL!  You said 'wicked!'  You must be from Boston!"  Of course, I'd then tip my scally-cap and start a "Yankees Suck" chant through my Sam Adams-soaked beard before confirming, "Why yes, I am!"

NOT ANYMORE.

After the show premiers tonight on A&E, the conversation will go more like this...

"Excuse me, Broadway Street is wicked long--"
"UGHH you watch that awful show?  I'm judging you so hard right now.  You probably also think Pauly D is a legitimate DJ."

For the record, I don't.


No comments:

Post a Comment